- According to a recent UK study, women who are "agreeable" are more likely to have children at a young age than those who are "open-minded." Open-minded women tended to choose education over babies, and "risk going through life childless."
The study also found that certain personality traits, including "tender-mindedness," are linked to early motherhood. "Personality traits influence both education and fertility decisions," summarized researcher Lara Patricio Tavares.
- This evening, Condoleezza Rice and Aretha Franklin will perform together for charity at Philadelphia's Mann Music Center. In case you didn't know, Rice is actually a classically trained pianist, and she will provide the accompaniment for Franklin as she sings her hits, including "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," and "I Say a Little Prayer." Rice says she's been "practicing furiously."
- The 31-year-old recipient of the world's first full face transplant appeared before TV cameras yesterday for the first time since his surgery. Known only as Oscar, the Spanish man survived a 24-hour surgery in March. He publicly thanked his doctors and the family of the donor, before his sister stepped in to restating their desire to remain anonymous and live a normal life.
- Breast cancer screening in Scotland has topped the national target (with 75% of women between 50 and 70 getting screened), yet there remains a discrepancy between the rich and the poor. Only 64% of women living in the "most deprived areas" were screened, versus 82% in the least deprived areas.
- Susan Finkelstein, who is probably best known as the fan who offered to have sex for Phillies tickets, will wrestle Devon James, who is famous for her role as Tiger Wood's former mistress, on July 29 at a pro wrestling tournament refereed by Dustin Diamond. Yes, I know: so much wtf in that sentence it's hard to parse through.
- Two Arizona families are furious after hospital employees mixed up the bodies of two girls involved in a fatal car accident. The family of Abby Guerra was informed that she died at the scene, but a week later, it was later revealed that the 19-year-old survived the accident, and the body belonged to her friend, Marlena Cantu. While the Guerra family is relieved, the Cantu family has expressed their anger at the tragic mistake.
- "In the timeless power struggles of gender, Palin is a dominatrix dressed in a choir robe," writes Brenda Peterson in one of the more interesting takedowns of the former Alaska governor and the Christian right we've read in a while. More: here.
- Apparently, women don't like eating out. Mostly because counting calories is too hard, and dessert is just too tempting and sinful, and since we're all on diets all the time, this makes restaurants a dangerous place. This bit of hysteria has been brought to you — naturally — by the Daily Mail.
- The HIV-blocking vaginal gel has come as a huge relief to many women, who can use the product without their partners knowledge, but it has also raised some significant questions. Doctors do not currently know whether it will work for prostitutes, who have sex with many men in succession, or whether the gel is safe enough to use daily. And of course, there is also the question of the price.