Today, as many of you know, is Moe's last day. What to say? Well, for starters, it's the end of an era. As my first hire, I have worked alongside Moe longer than anyone else, and the two of us have seen one another through every stage of the site's evolution: planning, plotting and brainstorming (God, that was fun, wasn't it?); two months of test blogging; the launch... the list, of course, goes on. But one thing that has remained constant this past year and a half is that Moe has stayed - at times, stubbornly - true to her singular point of view, bringing an entirely original voice, breadth of knowledge, and formidable intelligence to almost everything she's done.
The depth of her curiosity and the amount of energy she brings to the table constantly astound me: her contributions have made laugh harder than I ever thought possible when sitting alone in front of a computer and also moved me to tears. She has challenged some notions, and solidified others. Her ideas are never predictable but always provocative. Of all the writers, editors and bloggers I had the pleasure to know over my professional career, she is one of the most consistently exciting.
But let's be honest here: there's no reason to make this into some sort of eulogy; Moe is not going very far. Starting next week, she will be found over on Gawker, where she will have the luxury of having a broader range of subjects to write about and a (somewhat) new audience to get to know and love. And she'll continue to do a few of the features she created for Jezebel on Jezebel ( yes, that means more Crap Email From A Dude, occasional Crappy Hours, and hopefully, more rants against women's magazines) although I doubt she'll ever let me convince her to attend NY Fashion Week again. Until that time, please join me in reliving (in chronological order, no less) the past year and a half of everything from pop culture to politics, tampons, and Paul Janka...below. (Your additions welcome, in the comments.)
- May 27, 2007: Lindsay Lohan does blow, causes blow up.
- July 15, 2007: Angelina Jolie, Mariane Pearl, and blowjobs.
- July 16, 2007: Pregnancy scares and Plan B.
- July 17, 2007: Boozing it up with Obama Girl.
Ed Note: She was really on a roll in mid-July.
- August 14, 2007: The Glamour/black hair debacle.
- September 13, 2007: Meeting The Pick Up Artist's "Mystery" man.
- September 20, 2007: Trying out a $4,000 handbag made from the skins of abused and slaughtered Asian reptiles.
- October 29, 2007: Reminiscing about her crap stint working retail at American Apparel.
- November 14, 2007: Breaking open the MySpace/Megan Meier story.
- December 4, 2007: Hating on the NY Times' Modern Love column, and on other women.
- December 19, 2007: Coming close to calling the cops on Paul Janka.
- December 20, 2007: A post-mortem on her time with Paul.
- January 14, 2008: More on Megan Meier.
- March 10, 2008: Ripping a Daily Show dumbass a new one.
- March 18, 2008: One of many in a series of Jezenomics.
- April 1, 2008: Fun with April Fool's and Conde Nast.
- April 14, 2008: A personal exegesis on American Apparel.
- April 22, 2008: When the shit hit the Clinton supporters fan.
- May 2, 2008: An investigation into her own mortality, maturity.
- May 7, 2008: Ten days (ten!) in the life of a tampon.
- July 8, 2008: An apology.