ABC anchor Elizabeth Vargas revealed today that she checked herself into a recovery facility for alcohol addiction while on vacation. Vargas spent a couple of weeks in treatment last fall for the same issue, during which her husband was reportedly cheating on her. The couple is now going through a divorce.
"I feel I have let myself, my co-workers and most importantly my family down and for that I am ashamed and sorry. I am committed to battling and addressing this debilitating disease and want to thank everyone who has offered their unwavering support during this trying time."
..."Nothing is more important than Elizabeth's health and well-being and we stand squarely behind her," ABC News rep Julie Townsend said in a statement. "Our thoughts are with Elizabeth and her family and we look forward to having her back at ABC News when she feels ready to return."
Best wishes and all the success in the world to Vargas. [NYDN]
Mara Wilson penned a painfully sweet memorial to her Mrs. Doubtfire costar Robin Williams.
Robin was so on so much of the time that I was surprised to hear my mother describe him as "shy." "When he talks to you," she told her friends, "he'll be looking down at his shoes the whole time." I figured he must have been different with grown-ups. I wouldn't see that side of him myself until a few years later, when I was invited to be part of a table read of What Dreams May Come. He came alive in the reading, and had us all laughing at lunch, but my strongest impression came when we saw each other for the first time that day. Robin crossed to me from across the room, got down to my level, and whispered "Hi, how are you?" He asked how my family was doing, how school was, never raising his voice and only sometimes making eye contact. He seemed so vulnerable. "So this is what Mom meant," I thought. It was as if I was seeing him for the first time. He was a person now.
It's worth reading the whole thing. [MaraWilsonWritesStuff]
- Robert Pattinson says that he prepares for auditions by projectile vomiting "and punching himself in the face." [DListed]
- Keanu Reeves is getting his own TV show, in which he plays "a half-Japanese, half-American contract assassin who specializes in taking out his targets by making it look like death by natural causes." OKEY DOKEY. [VanityFair]
- TOM HIDDLESTON CHARITY NIPPLES. [JustJared]
- Summer Glau! [JustJared]
- Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi celebrated six years of marriage this weekend. Or, at least, pretended to, say the 'bloidz. [Radar]
- Vanessa Hudgens "flaunted toned abs." [JustJared]
- Milla Jovovich is pregnant! [E!]
- Christian Bale has a new son! [JustJared]
- Gwyneth Paltrow "glows"! [People]
- Khloe Kardashian's butt is real. It is not a hologram and/or patronus. [E!]
- Antonio Banderas rolled around on some blondes. [Us]
- Demi Lovato made a new PSA about mental illness. [HuffPo]
- Ice bucket blah blah blur glur dur dur dlurrrrb. [E!]
Image via Getty.